Foliate Linux eBook reader has been up to date with help for extra e-book codecs, together with comedian e-book archive, a brand new library view (which incorporates eBook discovery), and numerous different enhancements.
Foliate is a free and open supply GTK eBook reader for Linux. Constructed with GJS and Epub.js, the eBook reader lets customers view learn eBook information utilizing a number of layouts: single column, two-column, or steady scrolling.
On high of that, it options studying progress slider with capter marks, bookmarks and annotations, customizable font, line-spacing, marings and brightness, customized themes, keyboard shortcuts and touchpad gestures, in addition to the flexibility to open footnotes and search for phrases (utilizing Wiktionary, Wikipedia and extra) in popovers. The appliance additionally contains primary text-to-speech help utilizing eSpeak NG and Competition.
|Studying comedian books in Foliate 2.2.0|
The most recent Foliate 2.2.Zero provides help for brand spanking new e-book codecs, together with FictionBook (.fb2, .fb2.zip), comedian e-book archive (.cbr, .cbz, .cbt, .cb7), plain textual content (.txt) and unpacked EPUB information.
Beforehand, the applying solely supported EPUB (.epub, .epub3), Kindle (.azw, .azw3) and Mobipocket (.mobi) eBook codecs.
I wish to be aware right here that I attempted opening comedian books utilizing Foliate 2.Zero put in from Flatpack and DEB, and the Flatpak was capable of open comics, however the DEB failed.
|Foliate Library view|
The brand new launch additionally brings a library view that exhibits latest books and their studying progress, in both a grid or listing view. It is also doable to go looking books by metadata within the new library.
The library view comes with one more necessary new characteristic: eBook discovery. That is finished through the use of OPDS (Open Publication Distribution System), a syndication format for digital publications based mostly on Atom and HTTP. The OPDS specification companions embrace Web Archive, O’Reilly Media, Feedbooks, OLPC and others.
|Foliate eBook discovery (Catalogs)|
In consequence, you may now have the ability to browse and obtain free eBooks through the use of the brand new eBook discovery characteristic in Foliate. This may be finished by opening the brand new Library (out there within the hamburger menu), then switching to the Catalogs tab.
For the sources that help this, like Feedbooks (already out there in Foliate), you’ll be able to browse books by classes comparable to New Releases, Employees Picks, Finest Sellers, and so forth. It is also doable so as to add new OPDS catalogs URLs to Foliate.
Some options are nonetheless lacking from this new eBook discovery characteristic, like pagination and search.
Different modifications in Foliate 2.2.Zero price mentioning:
- The appliance can now use Tracker to trace file places
- It now makes use of libhandy to make the expertise even higher on small screens
- Choice to set most web page width
- The “Computerized” format will now present 4 columns when the web page width is large
- Improved picture viewer, with new shortcuts and the flexibility to rotate and invert photographs
- Choice to disable picture viewer, or to open photographs on double, center, or proper click on
- Improved text-to-speech configuration UI
- Means to set text-to-speech voice based mostly on e-book language
- Import annotations from JSON
- Search in annotations
- Annotations at the moment are sorted in the identical order as they seem within the e-book
- WebKit processes at the moment are sandboxed
- Improved help for vertical and right-to-left books
- Assist for StarDict dictionaries (requires new elective dependency sdcv)
- Mounted auto-hiding header bar below some themes
The most recent Foliate might be put in from FlatHub and the Snap Retailer. Whereas the applying is obtainable within the repositories for fairly a number of Linux distributions, it hasn’t but been up to date to the most recent model usually. You may additionally construct Foliate from supply.
There’s additionally a Foliate 2.2 DEB package deal (and a PPA) out there for obtain on the applying homepage (scroll down till you get to the Get Foliate part), that ought to work on Ubuntu, and Linux distributions based mostly on it, like Linux Mint, Pop!_OS, Elementary OS, Zorin OS, and so forth. I solely examined it on Ubuntu 20.04 although (and I did not run into any points).